Google+

adsense banner

Craftsy

Friday 18 April 2014

crochet sheep free pattern!!

Still in the spirit of the sheep, I couldn't resist making a little bobble version. I love bobbles. They are easy but gobble up the yarn so you'll need more than you think. I probably used about half a ball (25g ish) of the bobble colour, this was Drops Nepal in off white I think they call it. It's aran/worsted weight and I used a 3.5mm hook. (Btw, I always use American crochet terminology since I taught myself to crochet using Youtube videos)

free crochet pattern

To make a crochet bobble (bob): yo, insert hook in next sc, yo, pull through sc, yo pull through 2 on hook, *yo, insert hook in same sc, yo, pull through sc, yo, pull through 2 on hook*  repeat from * to* until 6 loops on hook then yo and pull through all 6.

The bobbles are a lot easier to execute if you just accept that they are on the wrong side, this is just fine, turn it inside out when you've done.  A slight complication arises if you switch to normal sc crochet (as with this crochet sheep) because you don't want to continue working the sc with the wrong side out (or maybe you do - go for it!) It honestly doesn't show that much if, when you join the different colour yarn, you also make your rounds go the other way and any little hiccup that does show, is easily hidden under the ear!


Body & Head

Row Instruction count
1 Make 6sc in adjustable loop 6
2 (sc, bob) 3 times might want to skip this row to avoid a 'pointy bottom (tho I quite like the torpedo shape!) 6
3 inc 6 times 12
4 (sc, bob) 6 times 12
5 (sc, inc) 6 times 18
6 (sc, bob) 9 times 18
7 (2sc, inc) 6 times 24
8 (sc, bob) 12 times 24
9 24sc 24
10-11 repeat row 8 & 9 24
12 Switch to face colour, 24sc (going the other way so bobbles are now on the right/out side) 24
13 24sc 24
14 (2sc, dec) 6 times. Stuff firmly. (Stick safety eyes in if using.) 18
15 (sc, dec) 6 times 12
16 dec 6 times 6
cut yarn, pull last loop out (not through the loop) thread end through outer loop of remaining 6sc and pull up to close.

Legs (make 4)

1 Make 6sc in adjustable loop 6
2 inc 6 times 12
3 12sc 12
4 (dec, 2sc) 3 times 9
5 9sc 9
6 (dec, sc) 3 times 6
cut yarn about 9", pull last loop out and use end to sew to underside of body, between bobbles

Ears

1 Make 6sc in adjustable loop 6
2 inc 6 times 12
3 (inc, sc) 6 times 18
Pinch one edge of the circle and sew to the edge of the face, about a third of the way down.
Embroider some eyes and a nose.

13 comments:

  1. Sooo cute! Love it! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try it. I want to add it with the baby booties I made for a baby gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my gosh I'm in over my head! I want to make cute amigarumi animals too, but it doesnt make sense to my beginners brain! I'm gonna try anyway! It might look like a scrubby to use while bathing when I get through with it... But I feel the need to make an attempt!
    TY for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your patterns are superlative!! Thanks so much for sharing SMILE Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this little lamb. Looks so cute. Can you tell me if you are ok if I sell them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get a reply to your question, because I have just asked the same.

      Delete
  6. Do you mind adding clear written (instructions), directions to follow "for each row" for this adorable lamb?..or do a youtube video tutorial? The way it is here is too hard to follow with no instructions.
    Greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya. Do you mind if I sell this little sheep. So cute. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wondering if this is "English single crochet" - which equals American double crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These were so much fun to make! I just made 16 of them for my son's birthday party. They will be part of the gift bag! I did add one little thing which others might like too. I did omit the first round of bobs, to keep the torpedo shape to a minimum, but before I made the adjustable ring, I left a tail long enough to turn into a curlicue to cover his bottom with a little tail. CH8, 4SC in second from hook, 4 SC in 4th from hook, 5SC in 6th from hook, 5SC in 8th from hook. Then just pull the extra back through the sheep! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so very cute! When we lived in Washington State we had a nearby neighbor who owned sheep, they are such a sweet subject for a toy and yours is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the patterns, will use them making Twiddle Muffs for dementia patients. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi the patten say rows? But is it rounds? Thanks

    ReplyDelete